Saturday, February 4, 2012

Francisco Garcia Vasquez


Today my family to a day trip from Oaxaca city to nearby Ocotlan, to eat at our favorite market stall restaurant with the Frida look alike chef, and to visit the Rodolfo Morales museum, Octolan's favorite son/painter.

We ate a great comida but the museo was closed, so we dropped into the series of workshops run by the Aguilar family, renowned ceramic artists. We saw great ceramic scenes of bars, hookers, funerals and a sublime Last Supper.

Then we bumped into the next workshop and I was surprised to see some unique paintings on metal by one Francisco Garcia Vasquez. These small works we executed in the Ex Voto style of painting on metal, but the subject matter and painterly chops were completely unique. I felt like a kid in a candy shop! This was something new and very special!

A super nice guy told me his 23 year old son painted these. Then he showed me his work, the dad that is, and his name is Demetrio. Wow, incredible stuff and he explained he shows in various cities in the states. Based on my budget today, I picked up the above piece by young Francisco, but man I will return to purchase some very fairly priced, utterly unique and beautiful work by Demetrio!

No comments:

Post a Comment